Sunday 15 June 2014

SUCCULENT SPROUTS

Just recently Tanya posted a photo on Facebook of a yummy and nutritious salad that was covered in a decorative flourish of microgreens.  An attractive and a healthy addition, and as I had been getting a bit bored with the cos lettuce salads I thought it was about time I started my very own windowsill garden of sprouts.

Off to Bunnings, where I had seen these amazing stackable trays to house the sprouting seeds until they were ready for consumption.  Thirty dollars later and I had my sprout greenhouse and several packets of seeds.  I set up the containers as per the instructions, finishing the top section with some wheatgrass seeds as they needed the space above if they were to grow to the 15-20cm as recommended before harvesting.  

After just one day the wheat had stated to sprout, second day and the snow peas joined them but the mustard and coriander still remained little round seeds.  I put the sprout container near the window and everything turned a lot greener, but the humidity produced mould in the bottom two trays which was not what I wanted to happen.  I re-read the instructions and it did mentioned NOT to put them in the direct sunlight as it creates a little hot house which is not so good for the sprouts.

I tossed out the yucky ones and continued with the wheat and snow peas which worked out perfectly.

I went back to Bunnings and bought a special tray for the wheatgrass and tried the other seeds again in the sprouted but to no avail.  

I give up!  So I’m grassing up my smoothies but the sprouter will most likely be put away until another time or donated to the school to see if they have better luck!  Luckily my local fruit and veggie shop sells sprouts so I’ll stick to buying them as I need them from now on.

Remember growing spouts at school in a screw cap jar, or in egg cartons with moist cotton wool?  You don't need to spend a lot of money to give sprout growing a go and as with my outdoor garden, its exciting to see the little plants sprout from seed.

Here’s what you are missing out on if you are NOT eating your sprouts…

Little Microgreens, so pretty and pack a nutritional and flavoursome punch. 

They are young delicate seedlings of edible vegetables and herbs, generally harvested less than 14 days after germination. 

These tiny little beauties are often higher in nutrient value then their mature plant.

There are many Micro herbs and veggies that you can add to any dish, salad, wrap, or enjoy on their own as a snack.  

Important info, because of their high water content, cooking Microgreens is considered a NO NO.

A handful of my favourites are –

  • Micro Dill – Calcium, Manganese, Iron, Fiber and an Aphrodisiac.

  • Micro Celery – Vit A, B, C and E, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc

  • Micro Coriander – Vit A, C and K, Anti-Oxidant, Fiber, Folic-Acid, Riboflavin, Niacin

  • Micro Green and Red Radish –  Vit A, C , E and K, Antioxidants, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Zinc




Microgreens are quick and easy to grow indoors on a sun filled window or table. (so you say Tanya!)

So there is a fun and nutritional idea, create your own indoor or outdoor Microgarden, and send us a photo, we would love to see it!

Love and Light Tanya ox


No comments:

Post a Comment